If you follow a plant based diet or have to avoid dairy due to food intolerances or allergies then oat milk is not only tasty but it also offers a range of health benefits. So put the almond milk to the side for the moment because here's why we think you should be including oat milk in your dietary regime:
1. Oat milk is high in protein with approximately 4g of protein per 1 cup serve, which is far higher than other plant based alternatives including almond, cashew, coconut, and rice milk.
2. Oats are high in a fibre known as betaglucans, and this helps keep you regular whilst reducing LDL cholesterol.
3. The betaglucans in oats also help maintain satiety, helping you lose weight
4. Oats are also a power antidepressant, and have traditionally been used in herbal medicine for its grounding affect.
5. Oats contain high levels of the antioxidant avenanthramides which increase nitric oxide production which helps decrease blood pressure. This compound is also responsible for oat's ability to sooth itchy skin when applied topically.
6. Oats also contain significant amounts of vitamin E, zinc and silica which ensures healthy skin, nails and hair. When applied topically these ingredients help reduce irritation and sooth itchy skin
7. It's really tasty! Oats absorb water much more easily than nuts, and when blended enough, more of the actual grain passes through the cheesecloth, giving it a much creamier texture than nut milk, without the need for added ingredients.
So it's time to give oats some time in the sun and try making your own oat milk at home. It is creamy, delicious, great over anything you like and it is so easy to make. If you keep it in the fridge, it will stay fresh for up to 5 days. We suggest you give a quick shake before each use as it does separate a bit, but don't worry this is normal. Give it a good shake and enjoy!
With love Rose